Wednesday 28 February 2018

Too nice to use

Chatting to a friend recently I asked her if she had a collection of notes books that are too nice to use, fortunately she did otherwise I might have sounded a bit odd.  She even confessed she couldn't write in one of her books because the pages had such beautiful watermarks she would spoil them.
You can keep what you like on your phone or your pad or whatever, but me I prefer paper.  I like to read books made of paper and jot down on paper.  But I do have note books that are far too nice to use. 
I worked once for an architect who always used Moleskines, those favoured by the famous.  His books were crammed with jottings and little sketches all done in black ink, the written pages looks beautiful.  
My writing is not great, particularly since I now write so infrequently, though I often use a fountain pen.  My Moleskine is untouched apart from being taken from the shelf to be admired.
Nice to be able to tie this one up to keep out unwanted jottings

or have a band to keep the empty notebook closed and always handy to have a place to keep your pen that will never write on the pristine pages. 

The above was a lovely gift, I've no idea what I might record in that.
The second rate note books I use are tatty, that's what happens when you use things, the get used.   
My knitting notes are falling out, 


And before you start analysing this irrational attitude, I know its not good but I feel that mostly I live a well balanced life, I just like having a few unused books.  I don't have clothes I haven't worn, ok I haven't used my newest handbag yet but its mustard yellow, its for the summer I will definitely use it and one day I might decide to use my notebooks, but don't count on it.

5 comments:

  1. I have no notebook in the league of your notebooks, but I do buy artists' note cards. Beautiful, beautiful cards. I use them for special notes, like congratulating my grandchildren on schoolwork, and, especially, for birthday cards. How can anyone throw away wishes for their birthday, on original art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a travel journal and notebooks. But for me part of the pleasure of having lovely notebooks is using them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am relieved to know that I am not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have a thing for notebooks, which I mostly write in (and F is most definitely for fountain pen). But yes, there are some, as yet, in an unused state which are occasionally taken out of their basket and lovingly stroked whilst I imagine what might be written in them. This is conducted in private, you understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your stash of notebooks, you are way ahead of me in that one! I do have a few, but they tend to be bought in supermarkets when I spot one with a pretty cover and I use them for jotting down my knitting ideas.

    ReplyDelete